A flight tax of 7 euros for every plane ticket in the Netherlands could be implemented soon

Flight tax in the Netherlands

The cabinet wants to add a flight tax of around 7 euros onto every ticket, regardless of where you are going. Why 7 euros no matter what? Well, they say it will make things a lot easier for the tax authorities if all of them are the same.

Originally they agreed that if you were flying out of Europe, you would be charged 22 euros per flight and if you remained within Europe it would be 3.80 euros. So it’s bad news for travellers flying within Europe now, who are set to pay almost double the tax, from the originally proposed 3.80 to 7 euros. This flight tax won’t come into force until 2021.

 

Why the tax though?

Yup, we all know the Netherlands is tax mad. So here’s another to add to that mounting list. The tax has been proposed for environmental reasons. It’s aim is to make people think about alternative ways to travel, yet the cabinet admits that they don’t think that this will slow the demand for air travel. In short, it’s just another way to get tax then.

CE Delft previously found that 95% of travellers continued to fly from a Dutch airport, even when different levies were added. The other 5% could have flown from an airport in another country anyway, so the problem just moves.

This idea is not new, in 2008 the Netherlands had a flight tax, but after just one year it was removed as the environmental benefits and money generated were minimal. Passengers were also choosing to fly from another country to avoid the tax too.

As much as I would love to see climate change being taken more seriously, in this instance, in my personal opinion I think it’s just their way of getting their piece of the pie. But we will see!

What do you think? Let us know in the comments!

Emma Brown
A familiar face at DutchRevew. Emma arrived in Holland in 2016 for a few weeks, fell in love with the place and never left. Here she rekindled her love of writing and travelling. Now you'll find her eating stroopwafels in the DutchReview office since 2017.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related posts

Latest posts

Budget Day 2021: moral of the story — we must wait to see big changes

It’s the third Tuesday of September. On this Prinsjesdag, King Willem-Alexander delivered his annual speech from the Hague with a reflection on last year’s...

Coronavirus in the Netherlands: all you need to know [UPDATED]

Coronavirus continues to sweep across the Netherlands and the globe. Here's up-to-date information, as it happens, on COVID-19 in Holland.  The Netherlands reported its first...

Weekly update: Dutch coronavirus infections continue to drop ahead of easing restrictions

The RIVM has released its weekly coronavirus figures from September 14 to September 21. The number of hospitalisations and deaths have decreased even further compared to...

The latest Dutch news.
In your inbox.

 
 
X