Leiden is celebrating its 10th anniversary of the Stadslab Leiden soon and it will be held in ten different locations in the Singelpark. It’s also the ‘longest’ day of the year on the 21th, our start-up neighbours are contending in the final of Gulliver and on top of the majestic Lakenhal is opening it’s doors again by throwing the city a free festival!
As you can see there is plenty to get your teeth into in Leiden these upcoming days and this weekend. So what’s going down exactly and why should we make the trip to Leiden?
1. Midsummers Day and Night in Leiden
Like we just said, Leiden is celebrating its 10th anniversary of the Stadslab Leiden soon and it will be held in ten different locations in the Singelpark (we got a big article coming up on that new and impressive park in Leiden). So, what’s happening in the day and what’s happening in the night this year?
As you might know, the 21st of June is the day of the year with the most hours of daylight. And the night and it’s celebrations at the Hortus Botanicus have always been a bit of a tradition. This year is going to be great with the expected lovely weather.
Midsummer’s Day programme:
- PLNT The Field – 10 am – ‘The most sustainable kilometre in the Netherlands’ by 2025.
- Lammermarkt – 11 am – Global goals, local actions.
- New Energy – 12 pm – Reaching out to citizens who don’t ‘naturally’ work and get involved.
- PLNT The Roof – 1 pm – How roofs are perfect for sustainable means.
- Huigpark – 2 pm – Get moving!
- The flour factory – 10 am – Meet De Meelfabriek
- Plantsoen – 3 pm – How you draw Leiden cartoon heroes.
- Boisotkade – 5 pm – ‘The longest park in Europe.’
- Old Observatory – 6 pm – Cake festival!
Hortus Botanicus Leiden – 8 pm – Anniversary celebration.
PLNT will be holding two of these summer events, one in the ‘field’ and the other on the roof!
Check our event listing here!
- Illegal office hours – 7:30 pm – Medicinal plants in Chinese medicine.
- The scent installation of Attic Lab Perfumes – 7:30 pm – What can you smell?
- ROEM X Hortus – 7:30 pm – Small art exhibition.
- Biotechnology – 7:30 pm – Looking at roots, stem and leaves of plants.
- Tasting Tea in the Chinese Herb Garden – 7:30 pm – Try Chinese herbal tea.
- Witch table – 7:30 pm – Learn about medicinal plants.
- Japanese Calligraphy (English only) – 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm – All about “Reiwa.”
- Popkoor Prestige – 7:30 pm – Choir.
- Al Dente Theatre Group – 8 pm, 8:30 pm and 9 pm (15 mins) – Theatre performance.
- Tailor-made Versjes – 8:30 pm – Tailor-made verses.
- Upper Button Open – 9 pm – Band.
- The Stream Sweet Tally Tour – 10:15 pm – Leiden Band.
- Cuban Salsa workshop – 11 pm – Learn to dance!
- Old Observatory – 7:30 pm – Tour guide to one of the telescopes.
- Radio @ Sternrewacht visitor centre – 7:30 pm – Talk about radio mast.
- Masterclass ‘Summer Kings’ – 8 pm, 9 pm, 10 pm – Learn about summer wine!
- Pecha Kucha Plus – 9 pm – Presentations about the city photographers and Leiden.
Check our event listing here!
Friday 21st June 2019 10:00 am – 10:00 pm.
3. Opening festival Museum De Lakenhal
Museum De Lakenhal